Thursday, July 03, 2014

What motivated Jesus #1


I was at Starbucks today grabbing a short coffee and doing some work. And I have the Starbucks app on my phone. You can buy gift cards and send them to friends and of those cards, you get to choose from some 25 options. One of those cards says, "Thanks for serving."

When someone joins the military, rarely does someone say, "If you do that you'll never be able to do what you want to do." Instead we find it quite honorable when someone gives themselves to something beyond themselves. In fact, we are repulsed when someone has a goal to make lots of money or attain power and are willing to do whatever it takes even if it means the exploitation of others.

When we say Jesus lived to do the Father's will, we can respond in two ways. First, we might think, "What a churchy way to live. What small vision. Live for something bigger." Of course, if we understand just who the Father is, we realize there is actually nothing bigger to live for. Within the Father's will is the salvation of all people, caring for the poor and the orphan and the downtrodden, loving our neighbor, doing right, and causing justice. The second response, then, when we say Jesus lived to do the Father's will, should be, "Wow! There is nothing greater! How noble! How honorable! What a calling!"

2 comments:

  1. Steven Ranney8:57 PM

    Here's the deal though: Jesus knew EXACTLY what God's will was for Him. The rest of us bounce through life trying to do what we *think* is God's will for us, only every now and again, we feel like we get crapped on by life, with no redeeming "my death will bring everlasting life to all who want it."

    It's the getting crapped on part that makes me feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing; what noble thing is it that I'm supposed to do? How will I know? Will I be happy? Will I be helping everyone that I can? Will I be rich? Rich in friends only?

    I admit: I'm remiss in my daily discussions with God. I don't talk to Him daily but when I do, I always ask for help in knowing what His will is for me. I'm jealous of Jesus for knowing exactly what it was he was supposed to do; there's no question there, and He did it anyway. I kind of wish I knew what it was I'm supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, great to hear from you.
    I've often wondered about those never mentioned in the Bible. It's easy to think of Abraham, Moses, Elijah, and others, but what about the everyday people not mentioned. What did their relationship with God look like?

    Our culture is very task driven. We are kings at figuring out the most efficient way to do and complete a task. However, much of life is not task-oriented. I wonder if the will of God is balanced between completing specific tasks and being a certain kind of person.

    1 Thessalonians 4:3 says it's God's will for you to be sanctified. That has very little to do with specific tasks and much to do with the heart of a person. Anyway, it's a curious study looking at all references to "God's will" or "will of God".

    Lastly, Jonah knew God's will exactly yet went the opposite direction. And God brought him back around. That has always given me hope that He guides me. If I have my face turned toward Him, I can trust that I am right on course.

    ReplyDelete